Today is Arbor Day, so let's take a moment to recognize the heart of our business.
Millwood is in the business of trees.
Well, not exactly, but they certainly are a necessary part of the business. As a valuable renewable resource, we do our best to reuse and recycle old pallets and select cut our timber for new pallets. We care deeply for reforestation and continued preservation of our environment. So in honor of Arbor Day, we'd like to share some important facts on the humble tree!
- One large tree will capture and filter 36 gallons of water a year.
- More than half of the U.S. water supply comes from our forests.
- In just one day, a large tree can absorb 100 gallons of water and send that moisture back into the atmosphere to cool the earth. The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equivalent to ten room-sized air conditioners operating 20 hours a day.
- An average sized tree will create 260 pounds of oxygen. Two trees can create enough oxygen for a family of four.
- More than 20 percent of the world's oxygen comes from the Amazon Rainforest
- Within a year, one acre of trees will absorb the CO2 emitted from a car after 26,000 miles.
Trees are an important renewable resource that provide water, oxygen and many other benefits (check out this report on crime around areas with trees vs without!) that are well worth the small effort it takes to plant a seedling.
Remember to check out The Arbor Day Foundation (where many of these facts can be found) to learn how you can help your community. You can also visit The US National Park Service to find a local park near you, and see what programs they have planned for Arbor Day!